A miter saw is widely used to make crosscuts and miter cuts across the wood. This is a useful power tool because it can make various angle cuts with precision.
Besides a simple miter saw, the compound miter saws are also available to make bevel cuts through the wood. This type of saw lends more efficiency and intricacy to the work.
However, without having a stable support for saw and your wood piece, the results cannot be efficient. For providing this support, the market contains a variety of saw stands.
But all stands are not compatible in accordance with your requirement. This article will discuss the governing aspects of a miter saw stand as well as the best stands available in the market.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Miter Saw Stand
While cutting your lumber, the only thing you can wish for is stability. If the work piece displaces, all you get is faulty cuts. This ends up making your task frustrating and time exhausting.
With numerous miter saw stands available in the market, you might come across one having a strong grip of the work piece. But what it lacks in providing is firm support. The stand’s frame is weaker to cope up with heavy-duty work.
For this reason, we suggest you find a stand having the following characteristics:
- The stand should be made of strong and durable material
- For a fixed leg stand, one leg of the stand must be adjustable so it can be adjusted according to ground level
- The feet of the stand should contain rubber grips so they stick to the ground firmly
- Or in case of wheeled feet, they should be heavy-duty locking wheels
The amount of weight your stand can bear makes it resourceful for a variety of wood pieces. We all know that the wood comes in various shapes and sizes, so you need a stand which can offer support to all of them.
The miter saw stand comes in a variety of weight capacities with manifold pros or cons, for example:
- A lightweight miter saw is portable and can be carried along easily. However, it cannot withstand jobs of heavy material. So, if you are planning to do a heavy-duty task, this stand won’t be the appropriate choice.
- Average weight stands offer portability with wheeled feet often provided with the stand. Along with it, the stand can bear weight up to 500 lbs.
- On the contrary, heavy-duty stands can withstand weight from 700lbs to even 1000lbs. But the limitation is that they can’t be taken everywhere like the lightweight stand.
Your wood piece comes in various dimensions. For larger material, the stand might be insufficient to provide a strong base. This feature, along with extensive support should provide stable support for efficient results.
Look for a stand that comes with outfeed support to tackle such situations. Some modern designs come with rollers that let the material slide across the saw blade. Another option is material stops that hold the wood in place.
Since the miter saw comes in a range of shape and size, only you can estimate the type of stand suitable for your type of saw.
Besides, some stands are compatible with most of the miter saws. Try finding a stand of this type so in future, if you plan to change your saw there won’t be a need to buy a new stand as well.
In the market, the saw stands can be portable as well as non-portable. This means that they both are the need of the market. To decide which one is suitable for you depends entirely upon the nature of your work.
However, as per our perspective, the portable one is better as one cannot anticipate what’s next to come. The portable one includes robust wheels so it can be drawn anywhere you want. Also, it can be folded to be carried out easily.
Furthermore, some saw stands hold the saw permanently. However, the other type comes with latches that allow the saw to be removed or replaced easily. Try finding the one having simple saw removing mechanism.
Some miter saw stands are made of a material that wears out soon. Consequently, with deterioration, the support provided by the stand weakens. On the contrary, some stands are made of durable material but they weigh quite heavy which obstructs portability.
We suggest you look for a stand that is durable as well as lightweight. For example, some stands are powder coated with metals like steel or aluminium, this gives them a long life as well as portability.
Buying high-cost stands cannot be beneficial if they don’t offer the desired result. Into the bargain, buying a low-cost stand that lacks the necessary features means you have dumped your hard-earned money.
For this reason, we suggest you pay for the product containing the aforementioned qualities.
5 Best Miter Saw Stands in the Market
1. Bosch Gravity-Rise Wheeled Miter Saw T4B
Bosch gravity-rise T4B is all you can have for efficient cuts. One best feature of this stand is the ease it provides for connecting and disconnecting the saw from the stand. Also, there is no limitation for the type of saw, you can mount almost any type of saw on this stand.
The height of the stand can be adjusted by the proprietary Bosch Gravity-Rise system. This enables the user to handle material having a height of up to 18 feet.
As for stability, the feet of the stand can be adjusted following the surface level. The strut bars further stabilize the stand. And the integrated rubber wheels installed don’t wear out and allow easy movement.
- Can be easily assembled and disassembled
- Large material capacity
- Can be used with a variety of saws
- Fairly stable
- Adjustable height
- Mobile; pneumatic wheels allow easy movement
- Heavyweight; made of steel
- Fragile components; along with the metal it contains plastic parts
2. DeWalt DWX726 Miter Saw Stand
The interesting features include a tubular steel structure that offers stability. The stand itself is lightweight to assist mobility. On the contrary, it has a weight capacity of up to 300lb which means you can use numerous types of materials on it.
Along with it, using the pneumatic feature you can adjust the height to three different positions. The infeed and outfeed work support offer stability to up to 8’ of the work piece.
On top of this all, the stand is versatile enough to support nearly all types of miter saws.
- Height adjustment to three different positions
- Portable due to rubber wheels
- Adjustable mounting rails featured to mount in any type of miter saw
- Infeed and outfeed rollers assisting stability
- Stores vertically which exhausts less space
- Can’t be folded completely; locked legs at one end and wheels at the other
- Directions given are tough to understand
3. Bora Portamate PM-4000 Heavy Duty Folding Miter Saw Stand
If you are looking for compatibility with portability, this might be the best you could buy. The stand is lightweight (about 30lbs) yet it can withstand material weighing up to 500lbs. Also, miter saws having a size range of up to 12 inches can be mounted in this stand.
The simple construction of the stand makes it easier to assemble as well as disassemble the stand. The four legs can be dismantled and the extension wings can be retracted for mobility.
Along with it, this saw has a tabular structure and metallic body to provide durable sustainability.
- Simple assembly
- Lightweight; can be moved easily
- 500 lbs weight capacity
- Adjustable mounting brackets; to mount saws of up to 12 inches
- Offers versatility; both for work piece and saw type
- The legs are not equipped with wheels
- Height is 36 inches; cannot be adjusted following the operator’s convenience
4. HICO UWC4000 Heavy Duty Folding Miter Saw Stand
The HICO UWC4000 is another portable stand which comprises a strong tabular structure and weighs 23 lbs only. The anti-slip pads are also equipped with the legs, which is a safety measure to ensure sustainability while sawing.
Although lightweight, it can bear materials having 500 lbs of weight. Also, this light stand can attach miter saws of 8,10 or 12 inches and compound sliding saws as well.
Just like the Portamate PM-4000, this stand also has legs at the centre and it can be folded within seconds. This ensures ease while carrying the stand somewhere else or storing it after task completion.
It also provides for adjustable infeed and outfeed support for a work piece of length ranging up to 81 inches. To prevent back strains, the saw can be adjusted to a height of 26 inches.
- Easy to set up
- Excellent weight capacity
- Portable; lightweight and legs can be folded
- Versatility; several types of the saw can be mounted
- Good stability due to strong structure and anti-slip pads
- Infeed and outfeed support lend a wide area for the size of materials
- Requires minimum storage capacity
- No option for adjustable height; the height of 26 inches can be insufficient for some users
- The board support contains some plastic components which are not durable
5. Ridgid AC9946 Mobile Miter Saw Stand
Ridgid AC9946 is undoubtedly one of the best portable stands. The stand comprises 12-inch large wheels which clearly indicates how easily it can be drawn on all types of grounds. The portability is enhanced by foldable legs which makes it easier to carry the stand at different working sites.
As for versatility, the stand can mount almost all types of miter and chop saws available in the market. However, one limitation is the weight capacity. It supports 300lbs of weight which limits its versatility.
For stability, the stand comprises an aluminium frame which offers durability as well as sustainability. Furthermore, it contains tool-free lock levers to feature rapid adjustment of material and ensure high precision.
- Enhanced portability by large wheels
- Can be folded and unfolded easily
- Strong and durable structure
- Universal mounting brackets magnifies versatility
- Lock levers upgrading precision
- Limited weight capacity; cannot bear heavy materials
- Instruction manual provided can be mind-boggling
Comprehensively, these 5 products meets the necessary pre-requisites for a miter saw stand. Nonetheless, if your interest or nature of job is inclined toward one particular aspect, then this product recommendation might help.
For Bulkier Tasks
If the tasks you want to perform are heavy-duty and involves bulkier pieces of wood, we suggest you go for Bosch T4B which has a capacity for over 18ft of material.
Also, Portamate PM-4000 and HICO UWC4000 have a weight capacity of 500lbs. Hence these three stands have the tendency to withstand voluminous tasks.
Lightweight stands are easier to carry anywhere. If your workplace is not fixed, we suggest you go with Ridgid AC9946 which comprises large wheels for easy movement.
Moreover, Portamate PM-4000 and HICO UWC4000 are lightweight and can be carried easily. However, their legs are not equipped with wheels which means you have to remove legs or equip them with wheels for enhanced mobility.
For Adjustable Height
Back strains are a common problem faced by craftsmen. To combat this, Bosch T4B and DeWalt DWX726 feature a height adjustment mechanism. If you wish to adjust your miter saw table height as per your comfortability, you can go with one of them.
Although all mentioned products are durable, Bosch T4B and HICO UWC4000 contain some plastic components which might break with time. However, DeWalt is known since ages for its reliable products. Therefore, DeWalt DWX726 is our top choice for this particular category.
Other than that, all products are worth a try and are able to equip various types of miter saws with sustainability.
Miter saw is a versatile and highly efficient saw. But the attributes of this saw are restricted if there is instability both at the side of saw or work piece. Having various types of saw stands available in the market can lead to confusion. For this reason, this article is to guide you which miter saw stand is the best when it comes to practice.