We clean the floors of our home daily, and we try our best to maintain the tiles’ shine. Furthermore, we often spend hours rubbing floors using bleach and variety different detergents. However, what most people often overlook is that using the wrong detergents can actually do more bad than good.
In the worst case scenario, they can permanently take away the original color and the shine of your tiles. Thus, in this article we will walk you through how to make tiles shine, the right way.
4 Best Ways to Make Tiles Shine
1) Soap & Water Mixture
Soap and water mixture is the easiest way of making tiles shine. For making a soapy solution, an individual can add detergent into a mop bucket containing water and mix it to prepare the solution. One must note that water used in this procedure should be warm. Furthermore, once the solution is ready, you’ll need a mop to follow the subsequent procedure:
- First of all, dip your mop in the solution you made and wring approximately before applying it to the surface. Wipe the floor using the cleaning solution with a mop.
- When the solution becomes dirty, replace it with a new one.
- Gently use a soft brush or a sponge for scrubbing the stains on the floor,
- At last, rinse the floor with clean water.
2) Baking Soda Mixture
For cleaning stains of the surface, baking soda is considered the most efficient way. The baking soda works instantly and is regarded as the best cleaner. An individual has to follow given instructions to make the soda cleaning solution for the best results.
- Take two gallons of warm water, then pour the warm water into a mop bucket.
- Add ¼ cup baking soda in the warm water, ¼ cup white vinegar, and one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing shop.
- Adding few drops of lavender essential oil can also be an excellent step to keep your home with a fresh scent.
- Stir the mixture of baking soda and warm water to make a paste.
- Wait for ten minutes to make baking soda settle on the tiles and then rinse it with clean water.
- At last, dry the surface to remove extra moisture.
- If the stains are persistent, repeat the procedure and try it for eight consecutive days.
3) Vinegar Solution
A vinegar solution is beneficial in both cleaning the mud and disinfecting the surface. After the vinegar is dried, it leaves a natural fragrance on the tiles that give the room a beautiful bouquet after cleaning.
It is requisite to ensure that the floor is adequately swept before applying the vinegar solution. The given steps will help you in making vinegar solutions for cleaning the floor.
- First of all, make sure the windows of the room are fully open for proper air circulation.
- Take a half-filled cup with white vinegar and mix it into two gallons of water in a mop bucket.
- To resist applying the excessive solution on the surface, dip the mop into the solution and then wring it up.
- Move the mop in forth-backward motions for removing all the dirt while cleaning the room using this solution.
- Dry-mop the floor with a clean towel to make sure that you clean all the moisture and leave room for drying.
- If the stains are stubborn, sprinkle some baking soda. Scrub the sprinkled baking soda gently unless the stain vanishes. One must be careful not to mix vinegar solution with any form of bleach to avoid health perils.
4) Ammonia Water
If you want to restore your floors’ shine or remove the stubborn stains, then the ammonia-water solution can be the best choice to apply on the floor tiles.
- Add a few drops of ammonia into the water in a mop of the bucket and stir it well. Water taken in the procedure must be warm.
- Dip the mop into the cleaning solution and wring it thoroughly to avoid extra applying of the solution.
- Mop the floor thoroughly and remove dirt, stains at a time.
- If the stains are persistent, scrub the stains gently with a sponge soaked in a cleaning solution.
- Rinse the floor adequately with freshwater and dry-mop the tiles after cleaning the ammonia solution.
3 Things to Avoid While Cleaning Your Tiles
Using the wrong cleaning agent can actually prove to be counterproductive. Even if it does clean your tiles, the chances are it will takes away their shine. Thus, here are some things you need to avoid:
Avoid using bleach. The chemical compounds present in bleach weakens the grout and makes it more porous.
2) Harsh Detergents
Do not use harsh detergents or cleansers. They can fade the tiles’ color and even destroy their surface.
3) Floor Wax
Never use floor wax without having a professional application. Sometimes waxes can be very difficult to remove and results in building yellow stains on the floor or make the tiles sticky that attracts dirt.
Keeping your tiles clean isn’t as difficult as most people make it out to be. As long as you follow the methods discussed in this article, you will be able to make your tiles shine in no time.